Police FAQs

Where are you located?  
35405 Chardon Road, Willoughby Hills, OH 44094
(Just east of SOM Center Road)

What are your hours?
The Police Department is open 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.
The Records Section is open Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm (excluding holidays) for copies of reports.  The Department’s direct administrative number is 440-942-9148

Who is the Chief of Police?
Chief Matthew Naegele

Can I make a police report over the phone?

Any incident that requires an actual report must be done in person. If it is an incident that has occurred where you currently are and have not left the scene an officer will respond to your location within the City. However an incident that is a late reported incident or you are no longer at the location of the incident we may ask you to come to the station to make your report. Of course there are exceptions in some cases. If in doubt call Dispatch at 440-942-9111.

If I am the victim of a crime, what should I do?
Call 911 as soon as possible. If you are need of medical care let the dispatcher know right away. Stay on the line with the dispatcher until he or she tells you that you can hang up – they may ask you to hold while they send a police officer or rescue squad to your location.

Can I make an anonymous complaint about something?
Yes, but it is always best for the officer responding to the complaint to be able to follow-up with the person who has the most knowledge about the problem. If it does turn into an arrest, our Law Department’s prosecution of the arrested party could be greatly improved with you as a witnessing party. Without that information, the City Prosecutor may have a difficult time prosecuting those who have broken the law.

What should I do during a traffic stop?
When you see a police officer behind you with emergency lights activated please do the following for the safety of everyone involved:

  • Pull to the right side of the road as soon as safely possible.
  • Do NOT get out of your vehicle unless the police officer directs you to do so.
  • Sit still, place your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight, and wait for the officer to approach your vehicle.
  • If it is dark outside, turn on your interior lights and keep your hands in sight of the officer. Do not attempt to hide your radar detector or any other objects, as police officers do not know what you’re reaching for and do not like to mistake your movements for those reaching for a weapon.
  • The officer may ask you for a number of documents including your driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance.  Please comply with those requests.
  • If you receive a citation and do not feel you deserve it, the proper time to dispute the citation is in court - not on the side of the road.
  • The officer will ask you to sign your citation. Signing your citation is not a statement of guilt of any kind; it signifies that the officer told you why you were stopped and cited, and that you received your copy of the ticket.
  • Wait until the officer dismisses you before driving away.
Where do I pay my traffic ticket?
The City of Willoughby Hills works within three traffic court systems.  Please refer to your issued copy and this general FAQ page for information. 

Willoughby Hills Mayor’s Court at 35405 Chardon Road, Willoughby Hills, OH 44094
Phone: 440-942-5050 – Email court@willoughbyhills-oh.gov

Willoughby Municipal Court at 4000 Erie Street, Willoughby, OH 44094
Phone: 440-953-4150OH Email wmcclerk@willoughbycourt.com

Lake County Juvenile Court at 53 East Erie Street, Painesville, OH 44077
Phone: 440-350-3000

How much is my traffic ticket?
You will need to call the respective court designated on your citation for the proper waiver amount.
You may also look up your fine on the Willoughby Hills Mayors Court website at https://www.willoughbyhills-oh.gov/departments/safety/mayors_court/index.php

What can I do if I don’t feel I deserved a ticket but I got one anyway?
All citations can be contested, but some citations require a court appearance. Other citations may be waived without a court appearance. To find out specifically what the options are in your specific circumstance, visit or call the respective court designated on the copy of your citation.

What can I do if I feel an officer mistreated me?
The best thing you could do is call the Police Department at the non-emergency number 440-942-9111 and ask to speak to a shift supervisor who will work on the complaint with you.

Can I get someone from the Police Department to speak to my organization or to my group?
The Police Department has a strong focus on community engagement and education.  We will make time to speak with community organizations and groups as long as scheduling permits. Call the Chief's office at 440-918-8722

How long is the power going to be off? Why is the power off?
Willoughby Hills Police Department has no control over power outages. In inclement weather the likeliness of a power outage is high. During these times the Emergency Communications Center can be very busy handling emergency phone calls.  The Department will continue to help in case of emergencies, and especially if you see power lines down. To report routine outages without any sign of power lines down you will need to call First Energy's (Illuminating Company) automated outage line. You will need to give them your phone number that is associated with you electric account so they will know that your power is out. To report your power outage call 1-888-544-4877.

How do I get a police report and is there a cost?
The Records Section at the Willoughby Hills Police Department is open Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm. You should call first to find out if a report is complete and ready for distribution. You can come in and pick up a copy of the report during the above hours at a cost of 5 cents per page. If you cannot make it during the posted hours, you can call and speak to the Records Custodian.  Arrangements can be made ahead of time for alternative provisions to pick up the report. You can also request a copy of a report by sending a self addressed stamped envelope with your request, or email to police@willoughbyhillspolice.org 

What is the phone number for ________________?
City Hall: 440-946-1234

City Communications Director: 440-918-8730
Service Department: 440-918-8740
Finance Department: 440-918-8732
Recreation Department: 440-975-3540